Friday, October 1, 2010

More Updates

Sarah is now full time!  It was a good first day of full-time work for her, as she and her co-workers attended the grand opening of Echelon, a new furniture manufacturer in Gas City.  It was a big grand opening with many people in attendance, including Mitch Daniels -- governor of Indiana!  Sarah was able to get a picture with him.

It is hard to believe I just finished the sixth week of class.  Midterms are two weeks away; fortunately, I don't have any midterm exams.  Most of my work is actually in the form of lab reports and take-home exams.  I just completed my first take-home exam this past weekend -- it totaled fourteen pages and 3500 words.  Needless to say, there wasn't a whole lot of free time last weekend.

I have a rough draft of a term paper due in two weeks; I've chosen to write about Cri-du-Chat syndrome.  I'll be covering everything from its effects to its history to the genetic abnormalities of those who have it.  This is for my Human Genetics class.  My other class focuses on Recombinant DNA.  We are nearing the end of our first cloning project.  We have been cloning the gene AKT, which may play major roles in cardiovascular health.  It also tends to be overexpressed in cancer patients.  Research that focuses on methods for suppressing AKT is therefore important for possible ways of suppressing cancer.  Once this lab is complete, I will have two write a major lab report.

My students turned in their lab reports this week, so most of my weekend will be devoted to grading those.

Ben & Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment