Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Few Updates

Ben Here.  Not too much to report.  I have a new desktop computer!  It is a college graduation gift from my parents, and I'm very grateful!  It's so fast and awesome.  I'm using it to type this right now, as you probably have guessed.

I am sitting in the apartment, and I have the window open.  Over the music that I have playing from my computer, I can hear the cheers and screams coming from the nearby football stadium.  Tonight is the season opener.  It's good to hear those cheers.  I feel that one of the big events I missed out on at Taylor was being able to attend sporting events with thousands of students screaming and shouting with fervor and passion for their home team.  Taylor has sports teams, but that excitement for sporting events was never really present. 

Here, on the other hand, the elation and passion are quite audible from where I sit, a quarter of a mile away.  The excitement is almost palpable.  But I digress...

Earlier today, Sarah helped clean parts of the Cardinal Greenway trails in Gas City and Jonesboro.  She previously organized an outing for Taylor freshmen to come out and help her as part of what Taylor likes to call Community Plunge.  This occurred today.  Community Plunge is an annual event at the beginning of the school year where freshmen perform community service.  From what she told me, it went well, but it was hot and tiring. She, with the help of her fifteen or so freshmen, were able to trim and carry away hundreds of excess branches. 

Well that's about it.  I just finished a rough draft of my curriculum vitae.  Once this draft has been polished and is final, I will use it in the spring  to apply to several summer internships.  I hope to procure one in either the Muncie or Indy area for next summer.  A summer internship is a required part of my Biotechnology Certification. 

I will leave you with a quote from the late pope John Paul II.  I just recently found this quote when I was perusing through some expository essays, and I feel it summarizes very well the crux of my worldview:

"Science can purify religion from error and superstition;
religion can purify science from idolatry and false absolutes.
Each can draw the other into a wider world, a world in which both can flourish."

Blessings,
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment